Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Farm to Table

As many of you know, The Cupcakerie got its start selling our little cupcakes at Framer's Markets. Even though we have our retail shop, we still sell at many of the markets in Rhode Island and Mass. Over the years we have not only developed wonderful friendships with some of the farmers, but a deep respect and understanding of what it means to support local. Being at the markets each week makes it very easy for me to have access to the freshest, local stuff you can get. This year however, I plan to grow my own!

One of the many home projects on my list as the weather warms is to garden, garden, garden! Our front yard gets a lot of sun and to the left of the house there is this overgrown Island that looks like it had once been an attempted land-scape feature. My plan is to turn this little patch into an edible landscape. Being that it is in the front and highly visible from the street, I want to create not only a functional garden, but a visually appealing one as well.

My 11 year old Step Son (for lack of a better term) expressed interest in a garden from the day we moved into the house. My last attempt at a veggie garden wasn't too successful. I never had luck starting things with seeds, and usually am so busy mid summer with weddings and markets, any attempt I have made end in a pile of rotted tomatoes and patches of weeds.

This year will be different!!! We are getting help from the pros! Each weekend we are heading to my friend Michelle's farm Zephyr Farm to volunteer, in exchange for advice and knowledge. This weekend was our first visit of many.



Even though it was a bit cold and dreary, we had a great time seeing early harvest items such as greens, beets, fennel and kale. Alex was an awesome helper and I felt great doing something special with him, and getting him off the couch at the same time! Michelle was a great teacher and this weekend we will be starting our own seeds and preparing the area, just like we learned.

I feel that teaching kids that their food does not just magically appear shrink wrapped on a grocery store shelf has the potential to teach them better eating, healthier food choices as adults and a basic understanding that local is better.

My advice.... find a farmer, offer to volunteer and have a blast!!! I'll keep you updated on the progress of our garden!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment